Friday 26 May 2017

One week on

Time is such a strange phenomenon.

This time last week I was sitting on the ward in fetching DVT stockings, knickers made of dishcloth and  a robe that tied at the back.  

Today I'm on the sofa, sunlight streaming through the windows, coffee in hand and it all seems very far away.

Gory bit:  The hospital I was treated at have been fund raising and have a new piece of equipment - which meant that the lump was excised via an incision in my armpit, at the same time as nodes from my lymph system were removed for testing.  This means I only have one wound, one scar site and my right boob looks untouched.  By comparison to last time this is amazing!  The armpit is quite a major junction of nerves and muscles so it's still quite painful, but it's been easier to deal with.

The nodes were clear so the cancer hasn't spread.

My follow up is June 7th and at that point I'll know the nature of the lump they took out and what the next steps are.  I'm planning on it being the same as last time, radiotherapy and no chemo - but I realise it's not actually in my hands.

I've just been looking back at last year's posts - I feel I should say I don't think I'm any less upbeat than I was last year, it's rather more that I have an overwhelming 'been there, got the t-shirt', a feeling of ennui.

My lessons from last time include remembering how quickly my energy can run out, so I'm trying to nap and not to commit to doing too much, whilst not just slumping on the sofa.

I have a thermos flask/mug which has already proved invaluable for the journeys to and from hospital.

I have much better headphones for listening to podcasts and books while out and about.

I think I've got this.


1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Peter wallis, here

    You probably don’t know me, after meeting several times at prs

    Anyways, sorry to hear about the boobs - but glad things are better

    My wife had breast cancer, so I have some understanding of what you’re going through

    >hug<

    ReplyDelete