Wednesday 13 April 2016

Changing Sides

I've just finished my last day at work for a while and I'm about to open a small bottle of fizz, just because.

I've had the final details re dates - tomorrow it's 1.30pm for the wire insertion and Friday I have to go in for 12.30pm but I'm last on the list so they probably won't get to me until mid/late afternoon.

Continuing to be open with everyone about what's happening has been producing some extraordinary results - messages from all over with admiration, support and a general 'go get 'em' that is very gratifying.  I'm also hearing from old friends and being told stories and tales about all sorts of amazing women who have been very successful in recovering from this predicament - which is exactly what I've wanted to hear!

Useful tips I've gathered (it's the little bits and pieces that the nurses don't get a chance to tell you about):

buy a couple of bras two sizes larger than normal to wear post the operation (make them wireless, cotton and front opening if possible)

You'll be in support stockings for the first 24 hours so you might want to wear trousers

practice a breathing technique that will make it easier to hold your breath for a while - radiation on the left breast means you're closer to the heart and they'll want you to keep very still - if it's not mentioned, offer to hold your breath!

If you're a reader you might want to stick to lighter subjects, YA can be very good for that sort of thing

You're likely to be very emotional post the operation (and possibly from the anesthetic) but it will pass



Oh and the reason for the post heading?

Which shoulder do you carry your handbag on?  (or manbag for you gentlemen readers) one of the things I was told on Monday (I was listening even if we were in hysterics most of the time!) was that I'll need to take special care of the arm on the side of the operation (if lymph nodes are removed) burns, insect bites (not sure how you're supposed to persuade the bugs not to bite that arm in particular!) anything that can get infected are all a no-no for my left arm.  As is my handbag.  50 years I've been a lefty!  I tried wearing it on my right arm as practice yesterday - I couldn't find anything and that useful notch that seems to have developed on my left shoulder just isn't there on the right hand side!  Of all the things I might have to deal with it didn't occur to me that my train ticket would be in the wrong place!

More tomorrow on ensuring that my lump is clearly signposted for the surgeon.












No comments:

Post a Comment