Sunday 10 April 2016

It's my turn


I'm not going to be around for the next couple of weeks and may be a bit hit and miss for a couple after that.  As an introduction to the subject I can't think of a better way that with this article from the LA Times on 'how not to say the wrong thing'

It's an incredibly simple premise that works in almost any situation you can think of.  The line that always stuck me as being the most profound came at the end:  "And don't worry. You'll get your turn in the center ring. You can count on that."

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/07/opinion/la-oe-0407-silk-ring-theory-20130407

Last Thursday (7th April) I was given the diagnosis of breast cancer.  Well, to be fair, the surgeon never actually said those words, but I guess that the combination of 'take the lump out' and 'let me have a feel, I can't feel anything, it's definitely the left one isn't it' led me to draw my own conclusions.

I've had no symptoms, this discovery was entirely due to a mammogram (ladies - always attend your appointments!) and God Bless the NHS, once I'd had the protracted discussion with the surgeon about armpit lymph nodes in or out and said 'I guess we need to talk timescales' he responded with 'never mind timescales I'm giving you a date!' and he had his diary out and writing me in for Friday 15th April.

The intention is that I'll have a lumpectomy, have the minimal quantity appropriate of my lymph nodes removed, then a short course of radiotherapy and hormone tablets for the next five years.

I'll be monitored and checked on, but with luck and a fair wind, that's all it'll be.

So if you think it's a bit quiet in the office - now you know why!

As ever I'm more than happy to discuss details with anyone who wants them - but I don't want any misery stories - I only want to hear about friends/families/urban myths who have sailed through this process with minimal fuss, as that's what I intend doing!




No comments:

Post a Comment